If ever there is an artist who deserves to be called cosmopolitan, it certainly is Alexandra Povorina.
Alexandra Povorina-Hestermann was born in 1885 in Saint Petersburg. At the urging of the expressionist Marianne von Werefkin, the artist went to Munich in 1907, where she began studying at a private school of painting with Simon Hollósy, a painter with a relatively traditionalist approach to art.
She maintained close contacts with the local artistic bohemia, including the later founders of the group “Der Blaue Reiter”. It was the avant-garde that attracted a woman much more, who while polishing her workshop in the master’s studio, at the same time searched for new challenges and paths.
In 1911, Povorina moved to Paris, the artistic capital of the world.
It took until the early Sixties that she was recognized for being an exceptional artist. The catalogue which was published together with the Tiergarten Berlin exhibition from 1960 is now for sale at www.ftn-books.com